Saturday, December 30, 2006
Sunday, December 24, 2006
Mark and Lisa's Golden puppy is now 14 weeks
Monday, December 18, 2006
Egg nog and rum at work...
Nothing like a little (illegal) Christmas cheer at work. These are some of my friends in the office. We had a little clandestine egg nog, rum and cookies in my office this afternoon. It was really nice. I love 'em all.
Sunday, December 17, 2006
Wednesday, December 13, 2006
Like a lot of other people, I've been waiting with great anticipation to see Amanda's debut on her new "pro" gig with ABCnews.com. Well, I checked it out this morning, and was itching to leave a comment and see what others were saying. But.... no comment area or link. At least that I could find. So, I up and emailed her. Here's what I wrote.
Just got done watching your first installment on ABCnews.com.
So, first off, congratulations!!
The good news:
1. You look and sound fantastic! The pro studio, lighting, editing and sound all contribute to a well-produced piece.
2. I like that you've kept the t-shirt, the hair flick, and best: the old Amanda attitude! (where are the paper tosses, though?)
3. Oh yeah... the content... :) Good stuff for the most part, but see The Bad News.
The bad news:
1. The ads. OMG, they play every time you to try watch something. BAD, BAD, BAD, BAD. At least have the player do a one-time per visit thing. Better yet, no video ads. PLEASE!
2. I'm sending you this email because there's no way to make a comment on that episode. Well, it may be there somewhere, but damned if I can find it.
If you want to keep your vlog-aware fans and create new ones, it's got to look more like a vlog, not ABC News sound bites. I want to comment and see what other people say.
3. No links to the topics you covered. Again, they may be there somewhere, but damned if I can find them, especially when every time I click on something I have to listen to a 30 sec ad I can't pause or skip over. After a couple of tries at finding links, I gave up. Please, please. Ditch the ads.
4. For a weekly gig, I think it needs to be longer, and slower paced. Hope that sometimes you'll also go less pro and more "commando" like AAA. It should be a balance, though. Use the pros to let you be seen and heard better, but not so much that you lose your connection to the peeps, which, as we all know is what vlogs are all about.
5. Again, it needs to look more like a blog/vlog not another brick in the ABC News wall. You need more space, your own page, and you need to have creative control on the design. Don't let the ABC style Nazis tell you different! The medium is the message.
6. On the same note...Use a more normal player please! One with frame shuttle, or at least fast forward. Tell ABC to shove their proprietary player. That would partially solve the ad problem, too. Or maybe better... Cross-post to blip! Yeah!
So, on the whole, a promising start, but you've got to lay it down to ABC. The setting they've put you in is not consistent with the vlog medium's message.
Yer CT homie,
I followed up a few minutes later with...
I almost forgot! Where's the RSS feed?
Yup. I'm actively working on all of these things. Turning a big ship.
There are comments though... and links. Check again. :)
Check out amandacongdon.com for my first blog post about the abc process!
Thanks so much for your feedback. I am forwarding it to the big guys. ;)
Where else but in the blogosphere would you get a response like that?
Jeez, I luvs that girl... :)
ps. Steve Garfield has also blogged about Amanda's debut today.
Monday, December 04, 2006
Winter & Fireplace
Sunday, December 03, 2006
Boston Media Makers meeting - Dec. 2006
The monthly meeting of Boston Media Makers took place this morning at Sweet Finnish in Jamaica Plain, MA. We had a great meeting with lots of very interesting folks from all kinds of backgrounds. We had artists, software developers, film makers, audio producers and others. Sean Fitzroy from BrightCove was the featured speaker and did a presentation on his company.
Stay tuned to http://bostonmediamakers.wordpress.com/ for news on when the January meeting it will be held.
This group meeting is a great opportunity to meet lots of people involved in new media, video blogging, commercialization, film-making, etc., etc. It's a really relaxed and very friendly and welcoming group, so come join in. I highly recommend it.